Root Canals

Root canal

05/30/2007

Question:

I had a root canal done 4 days ago by an endodontist for about 3 days there was alot of pain & sorenes in the tooth area esp bitting down, yesterday I felt like the tooth "moved" and now there is virtually no pain and I am very comfortable could it have been due to the swelling and inflamation? I am going away in 3 weeks on 10 day vacation and he schedualed me to finish the procedure in about 5 weeks( when I get back) he said the temp filling would last that long (he used the best filling he said).I am allergic to penicillin so if an infection should develop what antibiotics would be available for me to use? Thank you for your answer.

Answer:

Waiting five weeks to have the root canal completed is acceptable as long as the temporary filling remains intact. It sounds like the endodontist you are seeing took precautions for that by using "the best filling". Having pain for a few days after treatment is normal, depending on the type of case you had. From the information you gave I am unable to make any further comment. The antibiotic of choice if you are allergic to penicillin would be clindamycin.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics