Diffuse renal parenchymal disease (bilateral)

05/22/2007

Question:

Hello! I have an 8 year old niece who has been urinating a reddish color and recently she was observed of complaining a stomach pain. There is no pain during the urination, but what alarmed us most is the red color urine and the test shows blood in it. She was advised with an ultarsound procedure and found out such "DIFFUSE RENAL PARENCHYMAL DISEASE". Please help me understood or further informations about this disease sir/ma`am.

1. What is this all about? what I mean is, what happen to the kidney process? 2. What are the causes? 3. Are there any treatment or cure?

Because I`m away with this niece of mine, so I can`t talk to her doctor personally. Please help me...

Thank you very much sir/ma`am.

Answer:

It is difficult to say what the radiologist meant with that report, and whether it is a condition she was born with or acquired. It is possible she has a form of nephritis or urinary reflux. It sounds like she needs to see a pediatric nephrologist.

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology