Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

ED for physical reasons or not?



For several years I have problems with my erection. Both getting one and maintaining it. The problem is with the outer part of my penis (outside of my body). The inner part up to about half an inch outside my body, functions normally, meaning that when I`m aroused it gets very hard (like a stone or a bone), and it stays hard for as long as I`m aroused (up to an hour or even two!). In the meantime, the outer part of my penis remains completely flacid, or it gets hard for just a few minutes. When it gets hard, I can`t feel (with my fingers) the spot of difference between these two parts. Two weeks ago I visited my doctor, but she laughed at me when I told her in our discussion that I believe to have a physical problem. Then she suggested that I see a psychiatrist, because it has to be (in her opinion), a psychological problem. What is your opinion: do I have a physical problem, or should I seek "a shrink"? By the way, I don`t see myself being depressed.


You should see a urologist. This will help determine if you have a physical problem.

For more information:

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University