Unequal breast size

06/04/2007

Question:

Hello...

I am almost 25yrs old and have unequal breast. My left breast is larger than my right breast.. and this I had noticed ever since I started having my puberty. But due to my introvert and shy nature I never shared this with anyone. Though I keep this hidden from other people by padding etc but I still feel less confident about myself as this is the only part of my body which is not in the right shape. Just because of this unbalance in my body i am scared of going physical with any guy... as I feel they are most attracted toward this part of the woman`s body. I really doubt that I`ll be ever able to give birth to kids and breast feed them. Please help me..

Answer:

First of all, no one, unless they have had their breasts surgically altered has a “matched set”. However, breasts are usually symmetrical, but this condition is not unusual and many women live a very normal life, have children and breast feed without a problem with this condition.

It is important to have a breast exam done by your health care professional to assure that there is not a problem with the larger breast, but true breast asymmetry (that’s what the medical term for this is) is not life threatening or dangerous. If there is a big difference like more than 2 cup sizes, and you want to have that fixed, you might think about seeing a plastic surgeon. The size of the breast really doesn’t have much to do with success in breast feeding- all women have about the same amount of milk producing tissue.

As to a relationship with a man, I think that if a man is only attracted to you because of the size of your breasts, he’s not worth your time. A man should be attracted to you because of all your wonderful qualities, not the size or symmetry of your breasts.

Hope this helps

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD