Injury Prevention and Safety

Head injury to an infant

06/06/2007

Question:

i was told that my 4 month old was kicked off my bed which stands at least 3ft off ground, she landed on her left side of her head on tiled concrete. she sustaind seven skull fractues one being a depressed fracture and a subdermal hematoma can these injuries be from this incident?

Answer:

You must be very upset! As are you, I would seriously question whether such a fall would cause so much damage. Infants are the most likely children to suffer abuse, especially damage to their brains from head injury. Most often it is crying that provokes the abusive injury. Whoever was watching your baby should be carefully and extensively questioned. They should not be allowed to provide care for any other children until a careful investigation by Child Protective Services clears them of the suspicion of child abuse.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN