Urinary Disorders

Urine sample with puss cells present

06/08/2007

Question:

I recently put in a urine sample as i am getting constant mild UTI`s. I received a phone call last night telling me the sample had a significant amount of puss cells present. I am a little puzzled as I have had no UTI symptoms since the sample went in last week apart from running a high temp. Wouldnt I be symptomatic of a UTI and be ill if there are puss cells in my urine? If its gone to my kidneys would the other symptoms i have been having go? (constantly pasing urine and pain)

Answer:

White blood cells in the urine can occur in the absence of infection with bacteria. You should ask what the culture results are (is there an infection or not) and then discuss with a urologist regarding other tests that might be indicated. If you are taking antibiotics when giving the urine sample, this may be a problem with respect to accurately interpreting the results of either the urinalysis or the urine culture. Symptoms are variable and if you are actually having bacterial urine infections, then further evaluation should be undertaken to determine if there is a cause for this.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology