Sarcoidosis

Treatment options

06/08/2007

Question:

I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis approximately 3 1/2 years ago. Prednisone did seem to help but my physican hesitates to leave me on it. I have done regimens of Imuran, Plaquenil, Methotrexate and am currently on 2000 mg of Cellcept with 20 mg of Prednisone (have been on it since early May). I recently completed a hallwalk where I barely came in over 88% level. My physician cannot prescribe me oxygen (and I don`t know if it would be of any help)since my level wasn`t below 88. Is there anything else or any other resource I can go to for assistance? I am worried about additional scar tissue forming and losing even more lung volume.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

The steroid-sparing drugs that you have been treated with are reasonable approaches. If one drug treatment (e.g., methotrexate) is not effective, it is sometimes effective to try two non-steroid drugs together. I hesitate to suggest a medication change without knowing the details of your medical history. You have to be monitored closely since most of these drugs, including prednisone, have potentially serious side-effects.

I hope some day in the not so distant future we will have better treatments for sarcoidosis. However, more research is needed.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine