Throat closes, white mucus and sore throat

06/18/2007

Question:

I had 2 sinus infections back in January, and bronchitis right after. I cough since them, my throat closes up, my throat hurts, I can`t talk, my eyes water, i spit a white mucus. It`s not very comfortable when I am in the middle of a conversation or at meetings at work. I tried the netti-pot, salt water gargles, Nasonex, Allegra, Prilosec once a day, OTC cold medication, cough drops by the dozen, and it does not go away! I`ve been at the allergist, my regular doctor, an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist, had an x-ray of my sinus (it shows normal)and all they do is switch allergy medicine from one brand to another. What to do next?

Answer:

It sounds as though you have tried quite a few mediations for post nasal drip, and they have not helped.  Another possibility may be that you have acid reflux.  Acid reflux can, of course, cause heartburn.  However, many people with reflux do not experience heartburn.  Rather, the acid can spill up into the throat and cause a variety of symptoms, including cough, increased mucus production in the throat, a sense of tightness or closing in the throat, and a sore throat.  Therefore, you might have better luck if you try some medication for acid reflux.  This could be something over the counter, such as prilosec, or a prescription for which you would need to contact your doctor.  

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy