Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Therapeutic Programs for Disorders

06/22/2007

Question:

My son is a strong 17 year old suffering from bipolar disorder. We`ve tried almost every medication under the sun, in various cocktails, lighting therapy, meditation, regression therapy, vitamins ... and the list goes on and on.

However, his bipolar episodes are frequent - and dangerous. From punching walls, kicking down doors and threatening to burn down the house, slashing tires, or throwing us through windows - I think he`s a danger to himself or others.

I`m not rich, but think he needs a theraputic home - far away from my home - I think I have an obligation to provide a safe home to my wife and daughter. Any thoughts?

Answer:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. So sorry to hear of your family's difficulties at this time. It can indeed be a challenge to find the most effective care to help your family/son manage and recover from bipolar disorder, while also providing a safe home for you, your wife, and daughter. But these are important to consider. In that end, I'd suggest you contact the following organization:

The National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP)

Another excellent resource is the Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (CABF), 1-847-492-8519

I hope this helps you, your family, and son.

Take good care and best wishes,

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry