A knot on the outside of your knee

I have had a knot on my left knee for about 2 or 3 years. In the last 3 or 4 months, their is pain associated with this. No matter whether I am standing, stitting, walking or lying in the bed. I did go to my primary care physcian on 6 11 07, and he has referred me to an orthopedic Dr. He thought at first that it could be a cyst or something, but it is hard, and it does not move around. It is the size of a bigger marble. What is your opinion on this

Depending on the location, this knot could be caused by many things.  Skin cysts such as an epidermal inclusion cyst or lipoma may cause a "knot" and would be associated with the skin rather than the knee joint itself.  Knots could also be from bone with a joint spur or bone cyst causing the symptoms.  Baker's cysts in the back of the knee can cause a mass as well as cysts within tendinous structures.  X-rays will help tell if the mass is from the bone and an MRI may be done if the x-ray is not helpful in the diagnosis.  A simple good exam may be all that is needed to determine the cause.  I hope this helps.

Charles Webster, MD