Arthritis and Rheumatism

Alternate Wrist pain in luteal phase

I am 27, married, mother of 6 yrs old child. I feel mild to severe pain in wrist in each luteal phase. The pain occurs in alternate wrist in each phase. When I use contraceptive pill (Loette) the pain does not occur. Now after 3 years of regular intake recently I withdraw taking pills. Still I have a regular normal periods with no other significant PMS. But this bizare pain in the wrist which disappear with the onset of period make me helpless. Please Help.

This question has been forwarded by Gynecology:

I am not aware of a relationship between the luteal phase and joint pain. The closest I could come on a brief literature search was "luteal phase estradiol and LH were related to the severity of negative premenstrual symptoms." This is not your complaint. A health professional will have to ask a lot of questions to get to the root of this, and probably examine you as well.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Irving  Kushner, MD Irving Kushner, MD
Professor Emeritus of Medicine