Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Anxiety Over Vomiting

06/18/2007

Question:

My son is 9 years old and he was sick at school in the cloakroom 3 years ago(he was alone) (i know this is going to sound wierd)in the 3 or so months afterwards my doctor told me he was paranoid, he wouldn't go anywhere without a sick bucket just in case, then he would sit on the toilet for 2 hours or more just in case. Today someone else was sick all over his school table and then another child did it and its started all over again. What do i do? He is also having awful thoughts of me and his dad dying and says he can't get them out of his head.

Please can you advise me? Should I take this further or should i see if it goes off again? I really dont know how to deal with this. He is normally a happy child who does well at school, has lots of friends etc. How can i help?

Answer:

It sounds like your child may have an anxiety disorder which under most circumstances does not interfere with his functioning but which has flared up now and is probably a mixture of generalized anxiety and separation anxiety.

I would recommend that you seek an evaluation from a mental health professional.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD