Chondroid lesion

06/18/2007

Question:

I`ve had a dull constant pain that radiates from knee to hip and pelvis, I`ve had test done that have revealed a lesion within the aspect of the distal femur, as described, most likely representing small bone infarct or a bening chondroid lesion, I don`t know what else to do the pain is so bad that it keeps me up all night and I am always just so fatigued and feeling ill. what can I do.

Answer:

Your pain certainly could be from this lesion.  In these situations in which surgery is not an option, your physician may be able to prescribe pain medication and pain modulating agents to help with chronic pain.  Narcotic medications are not good options long term with your condition because addiction and tolerance can develop.  Other types of complementary medicine may be helpful such as biofeedback, massage or physical therapy.  Some patients do get a degree of relieve with acupuncture.  I hope this helps.

Charles Webster, MD