Pinched nerve in knee

06/25/2007

Question:

Hello,

I am a bodybuilder and awhile I was doing heavy squats I felt something tare loose from outside portion behind my knee. I took some time off to heal and even got an MRI just to make sure nothing major tore loose. The MRI did not show anything, but 2 years later I can not squat down without a pinched nreve feeling. I can walk fine, but it does ache from time to time. How can I get whateber this is fixed?

Answer:

A physical exam by a physician would be necessary - along with possibly a repeat knee MRI scan - to determine which knee structure was injured, but a meniscus (cartilage) tear is a likely possibility, particularly if the injury occurred either at the depth of the squat, or just when you were attempting to rise up from that position. An MRI doesn't always show a torn meniscus, especially if the images were at all blurred, and depending on specifics of the MRI equipment (magnet size, whether a surface coil was used, etc.). A pinching pain in the knee region would not be due to a nerve problem, and a nerve injury would not be associated with a feeling that something tore loose at the time of injury.

Appropriate treatment for your condition of course requires an accurate diagnosis.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation