Gum Diseases

White spot on upper gums

06/21/2007

Question:

I was bleaching my teeth using trays when I felt a stinging sensation above my upper left front tooth. I quickly took the trays off and rinsed my mouth out. I saw that there was a white spot. It was like the bleaching activated a color change and it is now a tiny bit sensitive. Do I have some sort of gum disease? Should I see a dentist? What could this be? Thank you. :)

Answer:

From what you have stated this appears to be a normal reaction when the tissue has been exposed to the whitening material. It is a chemical burn similar to a blister. If it is minor, it will heal quickly in a few days and typically does not leave any marks. If you are concerned or have more sensitivity, a dentist could verify this and check it.

In the future to prevent this, use much less material and wipe off any that creeps up onto the gingiva. Another good indication of using too much is if you taste the material.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene