Root Canals

Salivary gland leakage???

06/29/2007

Question:

I had 2 root canals done within 2 days and ever since (this was almost 4 months ago) I have this extra saliva coming out of my mouth and at first it was bitter tasting. It is constant and is even worse when I lay down at night to go to bed it almost feels like any pressure make more saliva come out. What could this be???

Answer:

I don't think this issue is related to the root canals that were done, especially if you are telling me that there is copious production of saliva. The issue could have been drainage from an abscess that could be confused as being saliva, but it would have a salty taste and would not be continuous as you describe.

You may wish to redirect this question to the panel of oral pathologists or have your dentist evaluate the problem directly. They may have to refer you to an ENT, oral surgeon or oral pathologist for further evaluation.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics