High Blood Pressure

Fast heart rate (pulse)?

06/25/2007

Question:

I am paraplegic and in a wheelchair. I`m in fairly good health otherwise. I am Caucasian, and 45 years old. I do not work. I have mild hypertension, that has been easily control with Adalat (60mg). My Bp stays regular at 110-120/80. I take (.05mg) of Levoxyl. I do not have Diabetes or any other health issues. My question is why do I seem to have a Fast Heart Rate? I see my GP Doctor quarterly. He is not concerned. But I like to stay ahead of the curve because I am paraplegic, my health status can change quickly. Thus, I am aware of the minute details of my health. Is there need for concern? If so, what should I do?

Answer:

You are right to be concerned about your heart rate.  There is a correlation (albeit a weak one) between mortality and resting heart rate.  The optimal resting heart rate is around 60 beats per minute.

Adalat does not slow the heart rate and can sometimes increase it.  You may want to consider a switch to diltiazem or to a beta blocker.  Also, you need to make sure that your thyroid replacement is not too high, and recheck your TSH level regularly.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section