Bleeding after intercourse

06/29/2007

Question:

For the last few years I have been having sex with the same man. Recently I have noticed that every time we have sex I bleed for a few hours and at times a day or two. It starts out heavy, then slacks off quickly, but still notice a little over the following hours. I have had a gyn exam within the last two months, and everything showed up normal. Could this be caused by a tear in the vagina or the cervix, since the bleeding is heavy right after and the first few hours it is still there but less.

Answer:

It is possible that bleeding after intercourse can occur due to a vaginal tear, although usually this would involve some pain as well.  Such an injury will usually heal on its own without treatment if given enough time to "rest" the vagina, although a topical estrogen cream may speed healing and help the vaginal tissue to be more compliant in the future.

If this has been occurring for months, it is more likely that the bleeding is due to another cause such as infection or inflammation of the cervix, or an abnormal growth such as dysplasia or a polyp.  You may need to have another exam with a more directed assessment as to the cause of the bleeding.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology