Breast Cancer

Breast lumps

06/28/2007

Question:

I`m 27 years old. I found a lump in my left breast. When i went to see the doctor he found another one in the right one. I had an ultrasound. Both lumps are close in size (approx 2.1 x 2.3 x 1.3cm) they are both very movable lumps, slightly lobulated, oval, wider than taller. The doctor thinks they are both fibroadenemas. I had a core biopsy on both lumps done a week ago and still awaiting results. I`m very worried. could it turn out to be anything malignant? And is it common to have more than one fibroadenoma at the same time? and if they are really fibroadenomas do i have to surgically remove them or can i leave them and hope they go away. Please advise. I`m a nervous wreck right now and would highly appreciate the medical guidance that you can give me. Many thanks.

Answer:

Fibroadenomas are one the most common types of breast lump in your age group.  Palpable masses in the breast of young women can be breast cancer, but these masses are much more likely benign.  After a biopsy proves that the mass is a fibroadenoma, complete removal is not required in most circumstances, although some women prefer to have them removed.  They do need to be monitored to make sure that they don't enlarge.  If they can be felt by you, you can monitor the size on self exam.  I like to repeat the ultrasound in 6 months to make sure that they aren't growing.  If they continue to grow, removal would probably be advised.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine