Extrarenal pelvis

07/25/2007

Question:

Dear Doctor, Ultrasound images starting at week #20 (during pregnancy) revealed that my baby girl had a dilation in the right kidney - 0.9cm (this measurement was taken again after birth and the result was 0.5cm). The ultrasound report at birth also states that both kidneys conserve normal dimensions and ecotexture without any dilation of the caliceal groups, however, the "dilation" condition was reaffirmed as an extrarenal pelvis. Even though my pedriatition says there is a high probability that this is not serious and that we just need to continue to monitor this, I would like to have your expert advice as to the risks associated with an extrarenal pelvis and suggestions as to what to do. Thanks

Answer:

It depends on when the US was done. If it was after 2 or 3 days of age, then it probably is not serious. If it was within 48 hours of delivery, however, then a repeat US should be obtained. Most probably it will resolve over time, but it is a good idea to obtain one more study just to confirm.

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology