Sunburn like rash

07/20/2007

Question:

About 4 months ago I had shingles on my rear and groin area. About 3 weeks later I noticed a faint sunburn like rash all over my body. It does not cause any pain until I have my period. I hurts during the first 3 days of my period every month. Almost making me think I`m getting shingles again, but it goes away. My doctor has done a regular blood panel but has found nothing she can think of to be causing this. Any ideas?

Answer:

I'm not sure how old you are but the first thing is to know whether you truly had shingles versus an outbreak of herpes. Herpes simplex virus infection (HSV) is the most common cause of a tender, burning, or painful blistering eruption in the groin or buttock area. The herpes outbreak can come up periodically in the same location/vicinity (although not always the same exact spot) and lasts 7-14 days and resolves. Some patients who get herpes outbreak may also get a separate rash called erythema muliforme about 3-10 days after getting the herpes breakout. I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist to be evaluated.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD