Vascular Surgery

Red to purple feet

i am 47 years old and have been to many doctors with no real answers. I have red, sometimes purple feet. When you touch the skin, the skin turns white again. The doctors all say that there is a good heart beat in my feet. The spots (that is how the different color started) are moving above my knees and on my buttocks. I am very concerned. One dermatologist looked at it for under 5 seconds and stated when I go through menopause, it would be better. They also suggested having it lasored. I had a hysterectomy about 4 years ago, so that is not going to happen. Sometimes my feet look like a dead persons feet. When I wake up in the morning, it is getting difficult to walk, my hands are frequently swelling and very sore making it difficult to open jars etc. I have had blood work done making sure it was not diabetes, which it is not. Please help in any way you can. Desperate!

If the pulses are good in your feet, we as vascular surgeons don't get too concerned about the color change you are describing. You may want to consider having a venous reflux study done to look and see if the vein valves are not working well and thereby casing swelling.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD