Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Huge blister sore on tongue

07/11/2007

Question:

My 3 year old daughter has developed a huge white blister on the tip of her tongue. At first glance I thought maybe she bit hertongue, but I am very bad for biting my tongue and I have never seen a blister like this before. It is about the siz eof a eraser ona pencil. She complains of it hurting and burning. I have also noticed a change in her eating habits. Please offer any information you can. Thanks

Answer:

Thanks for your question.

There are several potential answers, ranging from self-limiting viral infections to anatomic malformation, to just a plain old bite. However, as it is changing her eating habits, and the significant size - she needs to be evaluated right away. Young children can get dehydrated very easily. Please take her to a dentist, or a pediatrician for a thorough evaluation and formulation of a plan of treatment.

Good luck.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry