Fordyce granules?! Could it be?

07/20/2007

Question:

As long as I can remember, I`ve noticed these random patches of white spots that form in mini clusters on the top lip only. I researched and found that it could be Fordyce granules. They don`t hurt or anything, but they are just annoying to see because it seems like nothing helps, not even chapstick. Is this a condition I need to see a doctor for or is it a normal condition that some people just develop? Some others say it could be a form of HPV, but I don`t engage in any risky activity that may cause the virus. However, comparing my spots to a few pictures others have posted of Fordyce granules on the internet, I feel that this is most likely my condition as well. Is this normal to have?

Thanks for any advice!

Answer:

Similar questions have been answered previously. The links below will connect you to those answers. You can also return to the Ask an Expert page and use the Search option to find information from related questions. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Things That Go Bump in the Mouth
Tiny white bumps on inside of cheek in mouth
Cluster of tiny spots?

Brenda (Rose) Clark, MPH, MA
NetWellness Program Manager
College of Public Health