Coating on tongue

07/18/2007

Question:

when i wake up , my tongue has a white coating on it , i brush it off with a toungue brush , and the white coating will be back on my toungue by the end of the day , this problem has been in mouth for about 6 years , my docters do thing it is thrush , i have been tested for hiv 4 times sinch this problem came about , and my imun system has been tested once , and the results where negative and in range for imune system, i do not know what to do anymore . i do know when i drink the coating is worse , i do not know what to tell my docter to check for ,

Answer:

For most people, the "coating" of the top of the tongue is natural and represents the normal accumulation of keratin (the normal product of the dorsal tongue), which appears white when it is wet. For more information, please see the website http://www.aaomp.org/public/info-on-oral-disease.php.  

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology