Lump under skin behind right ear lobe

07/26/2007

Question:

Hello, I am a 26 year old male. I recently noticed about a week ago that behind my right earlobe, on my neck, there is a small lump about the size of a dime underneath my skin. I checked and there are no other swollen lymph nodes or lumps elsewhere. It isn`t as hard as a rock, but it is rather hard, and I can`t tell if it is moveable or not. I haven`t noticed many other symptoms except feeling a little extra tired than normal and every so often a slight pain in my right ear. I have recently started taking wellbutrin XL and recently had both ear lobes pierced about 3 weeks ago. I`m not sure if that will help decipher what this could be. I`m a big worrier. Any info you can provide would be great!

Answer:

It is most likely a lymph node or skin cyst.  If it is a lymph node it could be from the recent ear piercing.  You may want to see an ENT doctor for further evaluation but most likely it is nothing serious.  Good luck and hope this helps.

David  L Steward, MD David L Steward, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology