Breast Cancer

Need help - mammography vs ultrasound

07/20/2007

Question:

I was ordered to undergo breast ultrasound and all the doctor said when the test was completed it was negative. What does this mean?

The lump is still there and a mammogram was ordered as a follow up. I am 32 years old and nursing a 10 month old - should I go for the mammogram or can I count on the doctor?

Answer:

This is a very difficult question to answer without examining the lump in your breast.  Lumps may occur often in nursing women, and the fact that the ultrasound is negative is good, but does not completely eliminate the possibility of cancer.  Since you are young, cancer is not very likely, but often cancer diagnosis is delayed in women in your situation because lumps are attributed to nursing.  If the lump is still present or if it is growing, biopsy may be required, even if ultrasound and mammogram are negative.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine