Thick and stringy saliva

07/17/2007

Question:

Actually, I`m responding to another question, "Stringy stuff on teeth," (Question 50901) that someone sent in. To make a long story short, for the past 3 years I have had the same symptoms as mentioned in the above question. Only mine started right after my 2 front teeth crowns were replaced. Since then, I have experienced a stringy slimy feeling between my teeth and all in my mouth. The dentist tried to solve the problem by replacing the crowns 4 times. He performed laser surgery twice. Still experienced the same problem. I have had peridontal and oral surgery and been to 6 other physicians. Only one suggested it might be burning mouth syndrome.This worsens after eating. It feels like my gums are shredding off. It literally gives me anxiety attacks. The only way to deal with this problem is to wear a mouthpiece similar to a bleaching tray over my four front teeth. It helps me get through the day. I`m hoping that one day I`ll wake up and it will have gone away. Thanks for any more suggestions as what to do. I appreciate the answer the above person got for their question. Driving me crazy, too~

Answer:

These symptoms that you are having certainly could be consistent with the texture component of burning mouth syndrome. However, you probably should make an appointment to be evaluated by an oral pathologist in order to confirm the diagnosis. A majority of patients with burning mouth syndrome will get better eventually, but it is impossible to predict how long it will take for a particular person.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology