Injury Prevention and Safety

Help me please!!!

07/17/2007

Question:

Hello, About a month ago I went to a cherry picking farm, which I don`t know if i was bit by a tic or not. But about a week ago I started to feel weakness in my left hand and foot also tingly feelings in my left leg and I can feel something move under my left leg and burning as well, I don`t know if its just my imagination or it is there. I also get headaches and sometimes numbness in my left leg and left hand . Do you think these are symptoms of a tic bite or not. If it is what are the treatments for it and how can I test for it.

Answer:

I honestly do not believe that your symptoms are due to a tick bite because the symptoms are limited to only one side of your body. In the case of a tick bite, the symptoms are experienced in all joints, and it is truly an arthritis or joint pain symptom rather than a symptom of numbness, weakness, or tingling.

I think you are correct in being very concerned. The symptoms you are describing are what medical professionals would call focal neurological signs, an indication of a possibly serious problem in the brain. Combined with your headaches, it is urgent that you seek care by your doctor as soon as possible. If you also have high blood pressure, it is even more urgent that you be seen as soon as possible to make sure that it is in good control.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN