Stroke

Suffered extreme side effects from plavix

07/20/2007

Question:

I need an alternative to Plavix ( I am ASPRIN SENSITIVE, also!!) I had severe pain in stomach, etc....from Plavix. I am unable to get in touch with my Neurologist (as Hawaii is having a "health care crisis" - and his office staff has not got back to me). Could you recommend an alternative medication that does not cause Stomach Pain, etc....? I will ask the Neurologist if he would prescribe it!

Answer:

Anti-platelet treatments that are available for stroke prevention at this time include aspirin, Aggrenox (a pill that contains low dose aspirin and extended release dipyridamole), and Plavix (clopidogrel). Unfortunately, Plavix is the only one that does not contain aspirin. I would suggest that you speak further with your local physician about what other options might be appropriate for you. Coumadin is a blood thinning medication that does not affect platelet function, but which also has some efficacy in preventing stroke—similar to the efficacy of aspirin, based on a very well done clinical trial published a few years ago. This might be an option, but is not right for everyone.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Director, Neurology Residency Program