Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Arthritis and Rheumatism

Connective Tissue



Please help. What kinds of arthritis affect the connective tissue around the joints? (Specifically, the hips, back of the neck and across the shoulders.) Would the muscles in these areas feel sore & weak or very heavy? What tests would be needed to diagnose it? This has been getting worse for some time, and my doctor does not know what is wrong!


Soreness in the hips, back of the neck and across the shoulders could be due to a lot of things. It could be due to arthritis, of difference kinds, in those places. It could be due to inflammation in muscles, for example, polymyalgia rheumatica (seen in older people, usually). It could be due to fibromyalgia. It might be wise to see a rheumatologist.

For more information:

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Irving  Kushner, MD Irving Kushner, MD
Professor Emeritus of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University