Menopause

Vagifem

07/30/2007

Question:

My doctor prescribed Vagifem tablets for what she diagnosed as early signs of prolapse. I am 50 y/o, post menopausal and I do have dryness. I have not taken HRT for any symptoms like hot flashes. I do quit smoking but do chew Nicorrette gum. I am paranoid about the potential side effects of HRT like DVT`s, stokes even though I do not have a history or high risk for these. I can not find any research if the Nicorrette gum increases the risks for complications as smoking does nor can I find that it will help prevent prolapse, can you answer that and also is the vagifem cream also used short term as HRT is recommended? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Answer:

The best thing you can do for your health is to quit smoking.  If you do not like the gum, try Chantix.  Vagifem is not likely to help your prolapse.  Avoid coughing (another reason to stop smoking)and straining.   

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology