Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Alzheimer's Disease

Seeking A Specialist for Help



I am a 53 year old female with family history of dementia and Alzheimers on my dad`s side. He, his sister, and a brother had it and very possibly his father. I have been repeating myself since my children were young and lately have noticed words I cannot recall and memory loss in general. For instance friends and family have mentioned things I have said or done in the past of which I have no memory. I was present when my father saw the neurologist and am familiar with the type of questions and I could answer those easily. Do I let this progress until I am more symptomatic or should I be taking medication now? Would that help to slow it down if I have inherited this disease? I should mention I have an extremely stressful job.


Hello. Thank you for contacting us with your question. I am sorry to hear of the concern and worry that you are experiencing. Unfortunately, I cannot answer any medication questions for you, you would need to see a physician to discuss that matter. But, I can tell you that many people in your situation often find it useful to meet with a neurologist or neuropsychologist to have an evaluation. In this way, people can get some answers about their current status. If there seems to be a problem that the doctors can find, then they can help the person manage it. If they do not find a problem, then that evaluation is placed in the person's records as a baseline and the person can still talk to the doctors about the concerns they are having.

I wish you well.

For more information:

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Melissa Butson, ScM, CGC
Formerly, Clinical Adjunct Instructor of Neurology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University