Alzheimer's Disease

Identifying Symptoms of Dememtia

07/26/2007

Question:

I am a 49 year old male. I was diagnosed by the VA in 2003 after 6 years of symptoms with dementia, advanced degenerative arthritis(spinal),chronic fatigue and post traumatic stress and a 80 year old brain. Now a civilian neurologist says I have brain atrophy. No stroke, seizures or head trauma to my knowledge. I have had sporadic muscle weakness, tremors, frequent muscle pain, skin numbness (hands, legs, feet)and have had two bouts of bells palsey. MS was ruled out. B vitamins levels are great and no tumors found. My memory loss is mild to medium. Is there a disease or condition that could be the cause? I have many confirmed symptoms but none can point to a possible cause. Please give me your best guess so I know where to research from here. Thank you! excuse the spelling!

Answer:

I would recommend getting the opinion of another neurologist or internist that is known for thoroughness and work with them on this, as it is clearly rather complicated, and need someone to work through this with you. Possibilities, though, include a collagen vascular disease (inflammatory diseases such as Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis) or if you have been in an area prone to Lyme disease that could also explain this constellation of symptoms.

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

David Q Beversdorf, MD David Q Beversdorf, MD
Formerly
Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurobehavior and Neurology