Breast Cancer

Intraductal papilloma

08/02/2007

Question:

I had a intraductal papilloma removed in December of 2004 which was causing bleeding from my nipple. (I also had a core biopsy 2 months prior). I had a mammogram in 2006 which showed nothing and in 2007 my mammogram showed I had another in the same area as the first. I just had this second one removed again this week. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and does this mean it could develop into cancer if I keep getting them? My surgeon tells me people usually have a solitary papilloma which is usually surgically removed and takes care of the problem. How common is it for people to get them more than once?

Answer:

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to prevent you from getting a papilloma.  It is fairly unusual to see them repeatedly, but certainly possible.  As long as there is no atypia present within the papilloma, the cancer risk is not increased.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine