Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Medication Questions About Trileptal

07/26/2007

Question:

I have been taking Trileptal since 2002. My insurance will be expiring in about 6 months. I can not afford the medication and I need to know the correct way to stop taking the meds. I take 1 pill in the morning and 1 1/2 at night 300 mg. I have started cutting back about a week ago. I now take 1 1/2 pills in the morning. What are the side effects.

Answer:

Trileptal is the brand name for oxcarbazepine. It is used to help treat seizures.

General side effects include:

While discontinuing or tapering off the medication, you may experience an increase in seizure frequency and/or severity. You should not decrease your own medication regimen without consulting your doctor first because of the above adverse effects.

The link below may provide additional information on oxcarbazepine.

Submitted by Aubrey Guthrie, Pharm D Candidate, Ohio Northern University College of Pharmacy

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy