Smoking and Tobacco

About nicorette

07/27/2007

Question:

Hi, I`ve been trying to quit smoking for quite a long time. I used nicotine gum, and it seem to work very well. But recently what is happening to me is that I can not quit chewing this gum. What bothers me is that, I don`t know how harmful this gum is. And is it harmful at all? Am i still at risk of cancer if i keep using this gum. I`ve been chewing it for a year already. Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Answer:

To put it briefly, there is obviously nicotine in nicotine gum, and nicotine is addictive in whatever form. Therefore it is very possible to become addicted to the gum.

Although it would be best if you could get off both, cigarettes are at least a hundred times more dangerous than the gum. Also, because smoking delivers such high levels of nicotine to the brain so fast, addiction to smoking is much stronger.

You don't say whether or not you've actually stopped smoking altogether? I hope you have. If not, I suggest two things. First, call the Ohio Tobacco Quit Line (800-QUIT-NOW or 800-784-8669). It's a free service from the state, staffed by quit-smoking professionals who know all the tricks of quitting and staying off. Second, you may want to see your doctor. One of the other tobacco cessation drugs like Zyban (Bupropion) or Chantix (Varenicline) might really help you get off both the butts and the gum entirely.

It sounds like you've done most of the hard part. Now, finish it off. You can do this!

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Rob  Crane, MD Rob Crane, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine