Stroke

Mini-stroke or visual migraine?

07/30/2007

Question:

I am a 24 year-old female with low blood pressure. I do plenty of exercise because I am professional ballet dancer. I do eat alot of sugary foods.

My question relates to visual disturbances. Until now I thought that I was getting visual migraines, reulting in loss of vision in one eye. They happened just a few times a year. But today I felt very dizzy and within a minute lost completely the vision in both my eyes. It was very scary. I don`t know how long i was like that, maybe only 5 minutes. I went to the doctor who said the vision loss may be due to a viral infection (I have the flu at the moment, but in the past i was never sick when this happened). Could I have had a mini-stroke? What exactly should my doctor be testing for to clarify if it is stroke, visual migraine, or something else? It was not followed by a headache. And should i be going to a general practioner, eye doctor or neurologist? Please help. Thank you.

Answer:

You definitely need to see a neurologist. Your problem is possibly benign (Migraine aura). However, it is very essential to exclude other etiologies like multiple sclerosis or stroke, before we say it is just migraine aura. Best Regards.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program