Swollen lips and mouth skin rough and dry

08/01/2007

Question:

I have had a weird sensation in my mouth occur for the past month. It started with a rough dry feeling on the bottom of my mouth inside. Then that sensation of the skin spread throughout the entire inside of my mouth. Now it is spreading to my lips and they have benn getting more and more swollen. ANy idea what this is? It does not hurt or burn. Just the skin feels swollen and rough, not slippery. It also needs to get my saliva mixed in to keep it wet. I have lots of saliva but the skin dries on contact with my teeth. Help!

Answer:

What you are describing does not sound like a serious or life-threatening problem, but could be a form of the condition commonly called burning mouth syndrome. In some cases, rather than painful or burning sensations, affected patients have feelings in the mouth that have been described as rough, tight, swollen, etc. or alterations of taste such as metallic or bitter or salty. Additional information on this condition will be provided.

If these symptoms persist, you should first check with your dentist to make sure there are no signs of any other problems in the mouth. If needed, you may be referred to a dental specialist such as an oral and maxillofacial pathologist or surgeon.

Good luck!

Burning Mouth Syndrome

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology