Dental and Oral Health (Children)

4 with a loose tooth

08/03/2007

Question:

Yes hello my daughter is 4 will be 5 in Feb and she has a lose tooth on the bottom, it`s on the bottom left next to her middle teeth, she doesnt complain or anything I`m just a worried mom, I read on the internet it`s usually the age of 5 or 6 they start loosing them, but 4 has been know to happen. Is this normal?

She also uses the the flossers for kids could she have done this to teeth with them?

Answer:

Thank you for the question. I am glad to hear that your daughter is not in any discomfort or pain. While it is true that typically children start to lose their baby teeth around 6 years of age - there is a very wide range. It is typically more important that the sequence is correct than the "timing".

Having said that - there are other conditions, which are periodontal (gum/and supporting bone) in origin which can cause early loss of baby teeth. The best practical solution is an examination by a dentist who may take an xray to evaluate the tooth in question.

With respect to flossers - improper use of oral hygiene aids can contribute to periodontal damage and "loosening of teeth".  A dentist will be able to evaluate this AND ensure that proper technique is being used. Young children should ideally be supervised during brushing and flossing until they are about 8-9 and have the manual dexterity to proficiently clean their teeth/gums themselves.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry