Breast Cancer

Is my case so dangerous?

08/06/2007

Question:

Dear Madam/Sir,

First thanks for the good information you provide people with. Second I am 51 year old woman with breast cancer. I am post menopausal. My breast cancer is DUCTAL CARCINOMA. My surgeon has already done mastectomy and has removed my left breast and also my 17 lymph nodes from which 14 have shown to be metastatic. My tumor has been 505 centimeters and I am really confused. I am going for chemiotherapy 0n 6 August, 2007.

Is my case so dangerous? I am afraid a lot. Please advise.

Answer:

Breast cancer with more than 10 positive lymph nodes is serious. However, the prognosis and survival definitely improve with chemotherapy. Radiation treatments are used after chemotherapy to reduce the risk of recurrence in the area of the surgery. After chemotherapy, if the tumor has positive hormone receptors, an oral medicine (pill) should be given for at least the next 5 years.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD