Bleeding during intercourse

08/09/2007

Question:

I have never bled during intercourse before, but this past month about 3 days before my period was expected to arrive i began spotting light pink. The weird thing is it would go from light pink to bright red but it was light bleeding. I felt nauseous and i felt like faiting so i figured i was pregnant since the month before i wasn`t using any form of protection. But then i began bleeding like my period so i figured i wasn`t pregnant. The nausea went away as well as the feeling of fainting. Towards the end of my period i began spotting once again a brownish color for about 3 more days. Two days after i was done spotting i had sex with my boyfriend and afterwards there was blood. It wasnt alot of blood and i didn`t experience pain so i dont know whats going on. I know its not birth control cuz i stopped using it for over 7 months now and my last pap smear was normal. So what`s with the bleeding?

Answer:

Bleeding during or following intercourse can be from a number of issues.  For example:

Of course, with the concern about unprotected intercourse, you should check a pregnancy test to be sure a pregnancy is not the cause.  But if your bleeding persists beyond your period, you should have a pelvic exam to be sure that one of the above problems is not an issue.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology