Athletic Training

Tail bone area pain

08/06/2007

Question:

I have been training for the 3Day Breast Cancer walk so have been doing a lot of walking. Yesterday I did an 11 mile walk and last night started having pain in the tail bone area. It hurts most when I stand up and walk. Feels like it`s been bruised and someone is pressing on the bruise. I didn`t fall or do anything unusual. Not sure what it could be.

Answer:

I am unsure of length of your previous walks, but it is not uncommon to experience increased pain/soreness when increasing your mileage. Causes can be from soft tissue inflammation or bony irritation. Right now it sounds as if yours is related to activity.

It's hard to say what is causing your pain, but that pain should be a guide as to how you progress your training. If your pain is changing your walking pattern or continues to increase in intensity, you should stop your training program and consult with a local sports medicine professional as to the source of your problems and what is appropriate treatment for the condition. If the pain is more an annoyance, then you could try to use some ice and a combination of flexibility and strengthening exercises to control your symptoms.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences