Sarcoidosis

Bone marrow sarcoid

08/20/2007

Question:

I have been diagnosed with bone marrow sarcoidosis. Over the past two years, it has spread from a single metacarpal bone to all of the bones of my hands, feet, and now hips and knee. I am on Plaquenil to help with my symptoms. What is my prognosis as this disease does not seem to "burn out" or go into remission. Also, are there other medications that will help stop the spread?

Answer:

There is not a lot of specific information on the management of bone marrow involvement by sarcoidosis. Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) is generally reserved for mild cases of sarcoidosis. There are other, more potent, treatment options; however, the side effects of these more potent drugs must be weighed against the benefits of treating the sarcoidosis.

I would recommend that you consult your personal physician. If the disease is progressing and causing significant health risk or intolerable symptoms, it would be reasonable to try another type of treatment.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine