Oral Cancer

What Could be Causing Tender Spots on the Tongue?

08/09/2007

Question:

At times my mouth, or tongue mostly feels like a burning sensation. I wear a top deture and I am always pushing my tongue up against it with pretty strong force (bad habit). I have a couple of spots on my tongue, one in the middle back and other is in the middle toward the front along with a couple of bumps that the dentist said was probably callouses. However, atfer I told him how I push my tongue up on my denture alot at first they didn`t hurt at all but after a couple of weeks the the front spot is tender if I touch it with a little pressure. My tongue seems to look swollen at times along with deep grooves. Can this be geographic tongue, or do you think it is more serious? Can the dentures be causing any of this?

Answer:

Any type of tender or non tender spot persisting more than 1-2 weeks should be evaluated by an ENT, and could be biopsied if needed.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Enver  Ozer, MD Enver Ozer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Otolaryngology