Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood work importance?

08/13/2007

Question:

Please help me determine whether this blood work means anything of importance. I no longer have a doctor and may not seek further medical treatment unless this is something to be concerned about right now.

Blood work from July 24, 2007...

BUN/Creat Ratio High at 23.0 (12.0-20.0). BUN is normal at 16.1 (7.0-18.0) and Creatinine is normal at 0.7 (0.6-1.2)

Iron Low at 25 (60-180) TIBC High at 457 (250-450)

Hemoglobin Low at 11.0 (12.0-16.0) Hemotcrit Low at 33.5 (35.0-49.0) MCV Low at 74.1 (80.0-94.0) MCH Low at 24.8 (26.0-32.0) RDW High at 17.8 (11.5-14.5)

Platelets High at 509 (150-450)

Sed Rate High at 25 (0-20)

Ferritin Borderline Low at 7 (6-397) Last September, the ferritin was down to 2 and then after iron infusion via IV also last September it was over 400. Now down to 7 in ten months. No one has explained why I keep losing iron.

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance. If you need it, my medical history snapshot is below.

History: I am a 43-year-old female with 27-year history of Crohn`s Disease (inactive last few years). Two previous small bowel resections. New arthritis flare-up in thumb and foot within past week. Multiple past kidney stones with left hydronephrosis and left kidney is now functioning at 22% with a "very thin renal cortex." Two soft tissue masses (on left rib and left hip) that mysteriously appeared 11 months ago. History of anemia with iron given via IV in the hospital last September. Experience low-grade fevers on and off (99 to 100.9) and sweats both day and night.

Answer:

It is beyond the scope of NetWellness experts to offer personalized medical advice. I would suggest that you talk to your physician to help answer you specific questions, which can only be addressed by someone who has taken a history, examined you, and then looked over the blood work you had performed.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine