Addiction and Substance Abuse

Cocaine effects on the body

08/09/2007

Question:

I did cocaine about 5 months ago. I took very small amounts and only did it five times at the max. Since then ive noticed that I dont have the same sexual drive as i used to. I have problems getting an erection and sometimes it just goes limp while its erect. Could cocaine have caused this problem and if so please tell me if there is a way of fixing it.

Answer:

Thank you for your question.

Cocaine does have effects on sexually impulses and arousal, but these effects are generally limited to the time period when the cocaine is actually being used. Alcohol use is much more likely to cause the sorts of symptoms that you describe. There is no evidence that occasional use of small amounts of cocaine in the past can cause any sexual performance problems in the future. For this reason, it is probably important for you to look for other reasons for your current symptoms.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences