Digestive Disorders

Chronic Appendicitis?

08/20/2007

Question:

I`m a 29 yr old female. For the past 6-7 years I have had a re-occuring battle with severe right side pain and lower right quadrant pain. I also have heartburn, loss of appetite and sweating. I have had CT scans, blood work, ultrasounds, barium tests galore, and everything you can think of. My doctor states because I do not have "typical/textbook" symptoms, that I cannot have an appendicitis. I recently went to the doctor and had another CT scan w/barium no iodine as I am highly allergic. What they found was that I have an abnormal appendix. It did not fill with oral contrast. So, here I am in severe pain, nauseated, sweating, hot to the touch and my doctor is on vacation. What do you think this is, and what should be done?

Would it be too much to just have it removed?

Answer:

Lower right sided abdominal pain can be caused by intestinal problems, appendicitis, colon problems or GYN related problems. Have you had a colonoscopy? I would advise being evaluated by a GI doctor for further workup. Your symptoms do not seem related to appendicitis.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Syed A Ahmad, MD Syed A Ahmad, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery