Dental Anesthesia

An infiltration injection

08/13/2007

Question:

an infiltration injection is mainly used for the maxillary arch, anterior area of either arch and posterior area of maxillary arch? Isn`t maxillary arch the same as the posterior area of the arch?

Answer:

Thank you for your question.  Your question is somewhat technical, but I will try to answer it briefly.  Infiltration is commonly used in the maxillary arch for pulpal anesthesia (for the nerves to the teeth for dental surgery) for the premolar, canine and incisor teeth.  The anterior teeth can also be blocked via infraorbital nerve block. 

For the molars, a nerve block, the posterior superior alveolar block is commonly chosen with supplemental infiltration for the first molar.  The palatal soft tissue can be anesthetized by infiltration or block anesthesia of small named palatal nerves.  Additionally, when required, the entire maxillary nerve can be blocked on one side with an injection outside the face although most general dentists are not comfortable providing this injection.  

I hope this helps.

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry