Throat and ear nasal passage on left side

08/30/2007

Question:

I HAD THYROID SURGERY BACK IN 2002 , AND ABOUT 1 YEAR LATER I HAD THIS THROAT FEELING OF SOMETHING GOING SHUT MY VALVE OFF IN THROAT WHY ? ALSO MY LEFT SINUS IS MAKING ME BLOW MY NOSE HARD SO THAT I CAN CLEAR MY EAR AS IT FEELS BLOCKED. I SOMETIMES PUT A SALINE IN NOSE BLOW MY NOSE WITH PINCHING MY NOSE AND MY LEFT EAR SQUEAKS WITH A NOISE , WHAT CAUSE THIS ? CAN YOU SUGGEST ANYTHING ?

Answer:

First of all, I doubt that the thyroid surgery has anything to do with your current complaints.  It sounds like you have two different problems: one that affects your nose and one that affects your throat.  While it is hard for me to make a diagnosis without examining you and asking more questions, it sounds like you should be evaluated for acid reflux and allergies.

Acid reflux can give you symptoms like your throat is closing off.  It is associated with frequent throat clearing, mucus accumulation in the throat, occasional cough, occasional hoarseness, difficulty swallowing and bad breath.  You one have one or many of these complaints.

The nose complaints sound like eustachian tube dysfunction which is often associated with allergies.  Chronic sinusitis is also a possibility.

I recommend that you see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist to have these problems investigated further.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division